We are in beginning stages of a major shift occurring in the Cyber Security industry and CDN Ecosystem. It seems only a handful of companies understand what’s going on, and most are start-ups. Make no mistake, but the old guard security industry is going to experience a big disruption in the next 3 to 5 years, and its going to impact almost every security company in the process, including FireEye. How each responds to the shift, will determine their success. New business models are being created to address this new segment, and companies are starting to offer solutions that combine the functionality of a CDN and security appliance, but at the CDN edge.
- CDN and Cyber Security industries are collapsing
- Hardware based appliances are giving way to CDN Edge Security Solutions, protecting against attacks at the last mile
A new breed of start-ups are emerging that leverage CDN infrastructure, edge security and advanced threat protection technologies to fight against DDoS attacks, application layer attacks, and advanced malware. And we’re not talking Akamai, EdgeCast, CloudFlare & Incapsula, but companies like Fireblade. Fireblade is the new type of Cyber Security CDN.
Fireblade, New Kind of CyberSecurity CDN
Fireblade, based in Tel Aviv is an up-and-coming leader amongst this new breed of CyberSecurity CDN start-up. They leverage CDN infrastructure, and blend it with advanced behavioral based applications to protect against DDoS attacks, application layer attacks, intelligent spam bots, and other advanced threats. They do what Incapsula and Akamai do, but take the service a level deeper. Besides offering Akamai like security protection, Fireblade goes a step further, and protects against highly intelligent bot attacks targeting contact forms, login prompts, and other sections of the web page, that are targets for application layer attacks. It’s important to note that the good guys are not the only ones developing advanced threat protection platforms, the bad guys are too.
- Started: 2009
- Raised: $1.5M
- HQ: Tel Aviv
- VC Backers: SG VC, Lazarus Fun, KEC Ventures & OurCrowd
- LinkedIn Employee Count: 21
- Founders: Shay Rapaport (CEO) and Erez Azaria (CTO)
- Product: Advanced mutli-layered, behavioral based security platform the leverages CDN infrastructure to protect against DDoS attacks, application layer attacks, fraud, scraping, spamming, and other advanced threats
- Customers: Large enterprises and mid-market
- DDoS Protection: Protects against Network based DDoS Attacks and Application based DDoS attacks
- Spam & Scraping: Protects against spam bots targeted contact forms, blog comments section, login prompts, and registration forms
- CMS Protection: Plugs holes in CMS platforms like WordPress, Joomla, & Drupal
- WAF: Protects against OWASP Top 10 Attacks
- Login Protection: Protects user accounts against brute force attacks at login/password screens