Aryaka Networks has just released the State of SD-WAN Connectivity report that offers a glimpse into performance metrics comparing private networks against public networks. The use of global private networks is the next generation of networking, that allows companies like Aryaka to exert more control of the flow of traffic and security of it.
Three Key Trends
There are three key trends in the industry of network connectivity. First, the limited overlay networks have reached their fundamental limit in performance and security. The global private networks have taken its place and far superior in every way. There debate of private networks vs overly networks vs public networks is over, private networks rule the future.
To date, there are only three companies in the world that provide application services over a private network (from origin to peering edge) – Aryaka Networks, Google Espresso and Limelight Networks. Again, the use of private networks are the future because they allow the Google’s and Aryaka’s of the world to exercise more control of the network flow and security.
Second, the convergence trend is taking over the infrastructure industry. Convergence doesn’t mean slapping together products with CDN services, but it is a business model built on the idea of a unified platform that involves the integration of content delivery infrastructure, cloud security, mobile security, and WAN into a simplified stack from day one. To date, there are only two companies in the world with these characteristics – Cato Networks and Aryaka Networks.
Third, legacy WAN technologies like MPLS is coming to an end. The reason is simple – telecom companies are becoming providers of dumb pipes. Cogent and Zayo represent the future of the telecom business model. All higher level premium services (voice, video, data) will be become the domain of new and innovative startups who don’t have to deal with regulation, bureaucracy, inability to innovate rapidly, lack of skill sets, and so on. Now onto the performance test.
Network Performance Test
Aryka Networks conducted numerous test comparing private networks performance against public connectivity. The majority of CDN’s use the public networks. Some CDNs have BGP overlay networks like Akamai Sureroute. Aryaka compared the application response times from various locations throughout the globe and the results were dramatic. Here are the highlights of the test:
- One of the objectives of the test was to find out the response times of various applications-voice, data and video
- Test involved sending a randomly selected 100KB file across locations
- The following stats were evaluated: HTTP result code, connect time (ms) and transfer time (ms)
- Results were a summation of connect and transfer times. Application Results Times = Connect Time + Transfer Time
- Using Internet connectivity, application response time transferring file between Dubai and Dallas was between 750ms to 2,000ms. Another test variation resulted in between 127ms to 4,000ms.
- Aryaka application response time in same test were 4x better
- In another test, the following occured
- Internet Connectivity: 100KB file taks ~200ms from San Jose to Chicago and 4,000ms from San Jose to Shanghai
- Aryaka SD-WAN: 100KB file transfer took ~150ms from San Jose to Chicago and ~300ms from San Jose to Shanghai